Almaty Considers 2018 Winter Games Bid
Although Almaty's bid for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games failed to make the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) shortlist, the largest city in Kazakhstan is now considering a bid for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games.
Vladimir Smirnov, deputy head of the national ski federation, said an official bid from Almaty will go ahead if the government lends its support, reports the Associated Press.
Almaty is hosting the 2011 Asian Winter Games with the capital city of Astana and is now rebuilding its Medeu ice-skating rink and the Shymbulak ski resort in preparation for the Asian Games.
Smirnov said the Shymbulak complex will play a key role in any prospective Olympic bid. He said, "by 2015 Shymbulak should become one of the world's ten largest ski resorts".
The IOC is selecting the 2018 host city in 2011.Write or read comments about this article
- Mario and Sonic To Compete At Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games Under Nintendo Flag
- Richard Carrion Announces His Candidacy For IOC President
- Olympic Champion Jennie Finch Urges Support For Softball
- Yang Ho Cho Appointed Advisor for ITTF
- Ser Miang Ng Wants Games in Africa, Member Visits to Bid Cities Reviewed