Baku Azerbaijan To Bid For 2016 Summer Games
President Ilham Aliyev said Monday that Baku Azerbaijan will bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.
He said during the opening of a sports complex, “we have put forward a bid to host the Olympics in 2016. We are the first country of the former Soviet Union, other than Russia, that has made such a request to the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
“A few years ago we would not have thought of this, but today the country’s sports potential and the growing economic might of Azerbaijan allows us to do so”, he said.
Aliyev said that Azerbaijan has built 11 Olympic grade sports facilities since 2000 and is building or planning 14 more.
According to Fox, Azerbaijan’s economy is among the fastest growing in the world because of its significant energy reserves and position as a transportation hub for Caspian Sea Oil.
There were several reports of an Azerbaijan bid last year when the government first made its intentions known to the IOC. Write or read comments about this article
- Is Tromso Norway Suitable For a 2018 Winter Olympic Games
- Construction Begins on High-Speed Railway, Critical for PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Games
- Sochi 2014 Most Successful Getting Sponsors
- BidIndex: Istanbul, Tokyo Lead 2020 Olympic Bid in Volatile Race
- IOC Commission Chair Reedie Commends "Extraordinary" Istanbul's Olympic Bid for 2020