Beijing To Update, Buy Subway Trains Ahead Of 2008 Games
Beijing is to buy 84 new subway trains and update 60 old ones by May 2008.
Xie Zhengguang, general manager of the Beijing Subway Operation Co. Ltd., said the purchase of the new subway trains is part of the improvement project of the Beijing No. 1 and No. 2 subway lines.
He said the new trains have special designs such as blind tracks for the handicapped, in preparation for the 2008 Paralympic Games.
The trains cost about $100 million and will be operational prior to May 2008.
Four subway trains with 1.6 million passengers are now operating the length of 114 kilometres and by 2008 four other lines will be running in Beijing, bringing the total length of subway lines to 200 kilometres. Write or read comments about this article
- Joint Norway-Sweden 2026 Olympic Bid Suggested
- PyeongChang 2018 Shares Experiences
- Should Queenstown Bid For 2026 Winter Olympics?
- Radioactive Leak Won't Affect Tokyo 2020 - Tokyo Governor
- Tokyo 2020 Bid Is "Very Healthy"