Russia May Bid For Future Summer Olympics
Russian Olympic Committee head Alexander Zhukov said Friday that Russia may bid for a Summer Olympic Games after the 2020 Games are over.
He told students during an "Olympics class" in Moscow, "along with the Winter Olympics in 2014, there are many other competitions (in Russia), like the World Cup. After them, in 2020's we would bid for a Summer Olympics.
Russia was fourth in the London Summer Games winning 82 medals, including 24 gold, 26 silver and 32 bronze.
Russia will host the World University Games and the World Championship in Athletics in 2013, the Winter Olympics in 2014 in Sochi, the ice hockey World Cup in 2016, and the soccer World Cup in 2018.
Tokyo, Madrid and Istanbul are shortlisted candidates for the 2020 Summer Games, and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will elect a winner next September.Write or read comments about this article
|Bid Status:||IOC waiting for applicant city interest|
|Bid Date:||Bid for the 2020 Olympic Games will be in 2013|
|Bid Location:||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Description:||The bid for the 2020 Olympic Games|
|Bid Book:||Link To Bid Book|
- Mario and Sonic To Compete At Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games Under Nintendo Flag
- Richard Carrion Announces His Candidacy For IOC President
- Olympic Champion Jennie Finch Urges Support For Softball
- Yang Ho Cho Appointed Advisor for ITTF
- BidIndex: Istanbul Maintains Narrow Lead in 2020 Olympic Bid Index