Triathlon Boosts Tokyo 2020 Bid
Yokohama, site of the football matches should Tokyo host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games, was host on the weekend to the 2012 ITU World Triathlon.
More than 1,300 trathletes and 16 para-trathletes participated in the event, including world-class athletes from 19 countries. Among them were London 2012 Games silver medallist Javier Gomez from Spain, London 2012 Games silver and bronze medallists Lisa Norden from Sweden, and Erin Densham from Australia.
Tsunekazu Takeda, IOC member and President of Tokyo 2020 and the Japanese Olympic Committee said, "this was a great sport weekend for the city of Yokohama, as well as for Japan. I am proud that a Japanese city was chosen to host one of the ITU World Triathlon series. The course, which passed through a number of Yokohama's many historical waterfront sites, was lined with hundreds thousands of enthusiastic spectators. The overall organization was seamless, showing once again the ability of the Japanese to host highly professional first-rate sporting events".Write or read comments about this article
- French IOC Members Criticize Annecy 2018
- Norway's Parliament Lists Demands to IOC If Oslo 2022 Bid Is Approved
- Draft Commission Report Says Boston 2024 Bid Could Face Challenges
- Beijing To Tackle Environmental Problems For 2022 Winter Olympic Bid
- Los Angeles Steps Up For 2024 Summer Games Bid