Tokyo 2020 - Symbol Of Japan's Recovery
Tokyo 2020 President Tsunekazu Takeda said after being elected a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Thursday, should Tokyo host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games it plans to stage events in north-eastern Japan to show its recovery from last year's earthquake and tsunami.
He said the region would host the torch relay and soccer matches in the area.
Takeda told The Associated Press "we would like to show the actual recovery of this area for people of all the world who gave us big support".
Tokyo is competing again Istanbul and Madrid to host the 2020 Summer Games. The IOC will elect the host city in September 2013.Write or read comments about this article
- Oswald Fifth Candidate For IOC President
- Mario and Sonic To Compete At Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games Under Nintendo Flag
- Ching-Kuo Wu To Run For IOC Presidency
- Is Tromso Norway Suitable For a 2018 Winter Olympic Games
- Richard Carrion Announces His Candidacy For IOC President