Turkey Has A Choice – Olympics Or Euros
International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge said that Turkey will have to withdraw its bid for the 2020 European football championships if Istanbul is awarded the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. He said IOC rules state that a Games host country cannot hold another major sports event in the same year.
He said, "on September 7 next year in Buenos Aires, if Istanbul is elected, we will respectfully ask them not to host the European Championships. Ultimately, it will be for the government (in Ankara) to make their mind up, but I would say the election would be conditional on not organizing another competition".
Rogge reportedly insisted however that the apparent conflict should not ordinarily affect Istanbul's ability to make the Olympics short list.
Istanbul is competing against Tokyo, Madrid, Doha and Baku for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games.Write or read comments about this article
- PyeongChang 2018 Shares Experiences
- Oslo 2022 Olympic Bid Support Slips
- FILA Aims to Consolidate Wrestling Message With New International Ad Campaign
- Super Car Race Event Boosts Buenos Aires 2018 Youth Bid
- Dubai Considers Bidding For Olympics Within Eight Years