Spanish Olympic Committee President To Lead Madrid 2020 Bid
Alberto Ruiz Gallardon, Mayor of Madrid, announced Thursday that Alejandro Blanco, President of the Spanish Olympic Committee, will be President of Madrid's bid for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games.
The Mayor led two failed Madrid bids - the 2012 and 2016 Summer Games which were won by London and Rio de Janeiro. He said he believed it would help Madrid's bid to be led by someone from the world of sport, rather than from the political sphere, such as Sebastian Coe, who leads the London 2012 Olympics.
Gallardon said, "it is the system that functioned with Rio de Janeiro and London, where they put the focal point in sport and not in politics".Write or read comments about this article
- French IOC Members Criticize Annecy 2018
- Six 2022 Olympic Bid Cities Gain Insight At IOC Seminar
- BidIndex: Tokyo Leads; Race Tightens as 2020 Olympic Bid Enters Final Week
- Toronto Should Bid For 2028 Olympics Instead Of 2024
- United States To Bid For 2024 Summer Olympic Games