Exclusive: Las Vegas submitted 2020 Olympic bid to IOC without USOC Concurrence
With a letter to International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge that has been seen by GamesBids.com (GBcom), a group from Las Vegas, Nevada launched a bid to host the 2020 Olympic Games – without the required cooperation of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).
The letter dated and sent to both the IOC and USOC on August 26 states “this is intended to serve as the Vegas 2020 Bid Committee’s Application Letter to host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games...
"This Application Letter is not accompanied by a corresponding letter from the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) our national olympic [sic] committee (NOC) which on 22 August 2011 publicly declined to consent to the application of any US city to bid for the Summer Games of the XXXII Olympiad.”
A source associated with the bid told GBcom that “we've requested an interpretation of the rules by the IOC which would allow us to obtain the USOCs signature at the point of submission of the Application File (15 Feb 12) rather than at the point of commencement of the preparation of the Application File (15 Sep 11).
“This would keep the US alive in the bidding process.
“Failing that however, we believe that from a geopolitical perspective the United States has very good prospects for success with a bid for the 2020 Summer Games and consequently we believe the USOC should use its judgement and reconsider its position over the next few days so as to not deprive the people of the United States of this opportunity at a time when the Country badly needs the investment and jobs which the Olympic Games can provide.”
On Monday, the Vegas 2020 source confirmed that the IOC rejected the proposal and the USOC remains steadfast with its intentions. However, the organization hopes the USOC will still change its mind.
When asked to comment on the rogue bid from Las Vegas USOC spokesperson Patrick Sandusky, who was already aware of the application, told GBcom “as we have said before, the USOC is not bidding for the 2020 Olympic games”.
IOC spokesperson Mark Adams declined to comment on the situation after indicating that the organization will not discuss bid city details until after the September 1 deadline.
Bid applications are due into the IOC by September 1st and additional paperwork along with a USD$150,000 fee must be submitted by September 15. The formal application, often referred to as a ‘mini bid book’, is due February 15. So far Rome, Madrid, Tokyo, Istanbul and Doha have confirmed that they will apply.
The application letter further explains “whether it’s in respect of technical issues such as the high capacity, low cost and ease of use of both air and ground transport, or the most extensive resort hotel accommodations in the world, to the depth of human experience and intellectual capital available to successfully orchestrate an effort of this magnitude; we are confident that we can gain the concurrence of the USOC, given sufficient time, irrespective of the status of any legacy issues.”
The USOC received interest from several cities who wished to bid for the 2020 Games including Los Angeles, Dallas, New York, Minneapolis, Tulsa and Chicago but the organization has been unwavering in declining to bid until a revenue-sharing deal with the IOC has been restructured. Even with a deal rumoured to be close to fruition – the USOC maintains that there is not enough time for a proper domestic campaign to prepare the best bid possible.
There may be time, however, to prepare a U.S. bid for the 2022 Olympic Winter Games before the international campaign begins in 2013. So far there has been interest from groups based in Denver, former Olympic host Salt Lake City and Reno-Tahoe.
Reno, also located in Nevada along with Las Vegas, may have to deal with any backlash from the USOC over the uninvited Vegas 2020 bid - rumours suggest that a Nevada U.S. Senator was partially involved in the aggressive tactics.Write or read comments about this article
- PyeongChang 2018 Shares Experiences
- Beijing 2022 Looks For Bid Slogan
- Kazakhstan Wants Investors To Partially Fund Almaty 2022
- GB Digest
- France May Still Bid For 2024 Summer Games