Poll: 2020 Olympic Bid
What city do you support to win the 2020 Olympic bid?
2016 Olympic Bid News
Chicago 2016 Chairman and CEO Patrick G. Ryan said upon being informed that U.S. President Barack Obama will be in Copenhagen to support Chicago 2016's
The White House confirmed Monday that U.S. President Barack Obama will be in Copenhagen in support of Chicago's bid for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, ...
AFP reports Brazil's President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva pleaded with South American and African International Olympic Committee (IOC) delegates Sunday to throw their votes ...
Earlier this week, GamesBids.com reported that website ChicagoansForRio.com is backed by a group of Chicagoans who don’t want to see the Olympic Games come to ...
Up to one million people are expected to attend Madrid's "Impulse Day" celebration Sunday in Cibeles Square to show support and solidarity for Madrid 2016's ...
Japan's new Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama said Thursday he hoped to visit Copenhagen next week to lobby for Tokyo's 2016 Summer Olympic bid, reports AFP. ...
All three levels of the Brazilian Government, federal state and city, sent a letter to International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Jacques Rogge confirming the appointments ...
Hundreds of Chicago 2016 supporters will be travelling to Copenhagen for the 2016 host city vote on a Boeing 747 plane featuring the Chicago 2016 ...
AFP reports Juan Antonio Samaranch, who was the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) chairman from 1980 to 2001, said Wednesday he will be in Copenhagen next ...
Chicago 2016 officials announced Wednesday that Oprah Winfrey is going to Copenhagen for the bid committee's final presentation to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as ...
- Chicago 2016 Bid Never Connected?
- They Will Be Dancing In The Streets Of Chicago - Or Will They?
- Chicago Presents Olympic Bid to the IOC - Obama Wants The World's Faith In The U.S. Restored
- Oprah And Michelle Boost Chicago 2016 At Dinner
- No Games Chicago In Copenhagen
- U.S. President And First Lady To Present At IOC Meeting
- Chicago 2016 "Honoured" By Obama's Support In Copenhagen
- Obama Will Be In Copenhagen For IOC Vote
- Hundreds Of Supporters To Fly On Airline Chartered By Chicago 2016
- Oprah In Copenhagen For 2016 Vote
- Madrid Didn't Listen To Samaranch
- Former IOC President Samaranch Asks For The 2016 Olympic Games In Madrid At Final Presentation
- Madrid Can Win 2016 Games - Mayor
- Madrid 2016 "Impulse Day" Celebration To Attract One Million
- Samaranch In Copenhagen For 2016 Vote
- Madrid 2016 Boosted By Changes In Doping Rules
- Madrid Will Host 2016 Games - Mayor
- Doping Rules For Madrid 2016
- Madrid 2016 To Fly "Olympic Plane" To IOC Meeting
- Madrid 2016 Welcomes IOC Report
- London 2012 Organizers Arriving In Rio For Debriefing
- Rio 2016 To Follow Successful London 2012 Paralympics
- It's On To Rio 2016
- Rio 2016 To Avoid Empty Seats
- Rio 2016 Refutes Tokyo's Claims Of "Invisible Dynamics"
- Nuzman To Head Rio 2016 Organizing Committee
- Rio 2016 President Reveals Bid Strategies - And New Map
- Rio Celebrates 2016 Win
- President Lula's Empassioned Remarks Highlight Rio 2016 Olympic Bid Presentation
- Thousands Expected At Copacabana To Watch IOC Vote
- Tokyo 2016 Bid Committee In The Red
- Transcript: Tokyo 2016 Olympic Bid Presentation
- Tokyo 2016 Olympic Bid Presentation Emphasizes Great Spirit Despite Lack of Emotion
- Tokyo 2016 Has "Compact And Convenient Games Concept" - CEO
- 13 Olympic And Paralympic Athletes To Promote Tokyo 2016 In Copenhagen
- JOC Wants New PM At IOC Vote In Copenhagen
- Japan's New Prime Minister Asked To Attend 2016 Games Vote
- Tokyo 2016 Support Higher Than IOC Report
- Tokyo 2016 Would Benefit Olympic Movement
- Tokyo 2016 Supporter Loses Election
2016 Olympic Bid News Logo
2016 Olympic Bid News Summary
|Bid Status:||Rio won bid|
|Bid Date:||October 2, 2009|
|Bid Location:||IOC Congress in Copenhagen Denmark|
|Description:||Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo have been selected to the shortlist and will compete to host the 2016 Olympic Games. Baku, Doha and Prague were eliminated June 5, 2008.|
|Bid Book:||Link To Bid Book|
2016 Bid Dates and More
|Bid Discussion Forum|
|Candidature Procedure and Questionnaire|
|Application Evaluation Report|
|Candidature Acceptance Procedure and Questionnaire|
|Candidate Evaluation Report|
|(Website addresses and bid books available on individual bid pages - see menu)|
|Feb. 8, 2006||Copenhagen, Denmark selected as host city for 2009 Olympic Congress and final 2016 bid vote|
|May 8-18, 2006||US Olympic Committee visits mayors of Houston (May 8), Philadelphia (May 9), Chicago (May 10), Los Angeles (May 18) and San Francisco (May 18) for 2 hour assessment meetings|
|July 26, 2006||US Olympic Committee narrows nomination short list to Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco. USOC still hasn't decided whether to bid.|
|Aug. 30, 2006||Japan Olympic Committee nominated Tokyo over Fukuoka for 2016 Bid|
|Sept. 1, 2006||Brazil's Olympic Committee nominates Rio de Janeiro for 2016 Bid|
|Jan. 9, 2007||The USOC finalizes its intention to bid for 2016.|
|Jan. 22, 2007||Bid books for Chicago and Los Angeles due into the USOC.|
|Feb. 28 - March 2, 2007||The USOC conducts site evaluation visit to Los Angeles.|
|March 5 - 7, 2007||The USOC conducts site evaluation visit to Chicago.|
|April 14, 2007||The USOC chooses Chicago over Los Angeles for its 2016 nomination.|
|May 16, 2007||IOC officially launches 2016 Race with schedule and instructions|
|May 30, 2007||Spain's Olympic Committee confirms Madrid 2016 bid|
|Aug. 31, 2007||Prague announces 2016 Olympic bid|
|Sept. 10, 2007||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil announces bid officially|
|Sept. 13, 2007||Application for the 2016 bids were due into the IOC. Seven cities applied.|
|Oct. 1, 2007||Payment of Candidature Acceptance Fee of USD$150,000|
|Jan. 14, 2008||Submission of Application File (mini bid books) and guarantee letters to the IOC|
|June 4, 2008||IOC Executive Board acceptance of Candidate Cities at SportAccord - Candidates must pay a USD$500,000 fee|
|Aug. 8-24, 2008||Olympic Games Observer Program|
|Feb. 12, 2009||Submission of Candidature File to the IOC|
|April-May, 2009||IOC Evaluation Commission visits to bid cities|
|April 4-7, 2009||Chicago evaluation visit|
|April 16-19, 2009||Tokyo evaluation visit|
|April 29-May 2, 2009||Rio evaluation visit|
|May 5-8, 2009||Madrid evaluation visit|
|Sept. 2, 2009||Report of the 2016 IOC Evaluation Commission|
|Oct. 2, 2009||FINAL 2016 VOTE - 121st IOC Session and Olympic Congress in Copenhagen, Denmark|
|Chairperson Nawal El Moutawakel of Morocco|
|Olympic Games Executive Director Gilbert Felli of Switzerland|
|IOC Member Ching-Kuo Wu from Chinese Taipei|
|IOC Member Craig Reedie from Great Britain|
|IOC Member Guy Drut from France|
|IOC Member Mounir Sabet from Egypt|
|IOC Member and Athletes' Commisssion Representative Alexander Popov from Russia|
|IOC Member and ASOIF Representative Els van Breda Vriesman from The Netherlands|
|IPC Representative Gregory Hartung from Australia|