Green Transport For Doha 2016 Summer Games
In an effort to cut air pollution to support its bid for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games Qatar has developed the region’s first environmentally friendly public transport system.
Arabian Business reports that a range of battery powered taxies and buses have been commissioned.
Ahmad Al Ansari told UAE daily Gulf News, “our leaders have a vision - to make Qatar a green country, the first to use clean energy for its entire transportation system.
“We want to improve our transport system and make it compatible with the environment, especially as Qatar is bidding to host the 2016 Olympics”.
Al Ansari said Chinese developer Kinglong, which is now working on performance before the vehicles are introduced to the streets, has already produced prototypes.
The prototype 36-battery bus can reach a maximum speed of 70 kilometres per hour and can run up to 150 kilometres on a full battery, said Al Ansari. Write or read comments about this article
- Oswald Fifth Candidate For IOC President
- Mario and Sonic To Compete At Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games Under Nintendo Flag
- Istanbul 2020 Pledges To ONOC
- GB2M Podcast Ep. 5 - Exclusive Interview with Sochi 2014 Olympic Organizing Committee President Dmitry Chernyshenko (Part 2)
- Richard Carrion Announces His Candidacy For IOC President