Baku 2016 Unveils Logo
Baku, one of seven cities bidding to host the 2016 Olympic Games, unveiled its logo last week in the National Olympic Committee building. The logo depicts the Gobustan Rock.
The Gobustan Rock Art Cultural Landscape covers three areas of a plateau of rocky boulders rising out of the semi-desert of central Azerbaijan. The site features the remains of settlements and burials, all reflecting an intensive human settlement in the inhabitants of the area during the wet period that followed the last Ice Age, from the Upper Palaeolithic to the Middle Ages. The site, which covers an area of 537 ha, is part of the larger protected Gobustan Reservation.
The rocks of Gobustan retain the evidence of the presence of Roman legionnaires crossing the region in the 1st century B.C. Write or read comments about this article
- PyeongChang 2018 Shares Experiences
- Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games Car Free – Delegate Impressed With Bid
- San Diego Submits 2024 Summer Games Bid Proposal
- FILA Aims to Consolidate Wrestling Message With New International Ad Campaign
- Vancouver 2010 Chooses Ilanaaq For Official Emblem