Hamburg’s Olympic Bid Delayed Until 2030
Hamburg’s Mayor Ole von Beust said Tuesday that since the German Olympic Committee will probably support Munich’s bid for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games on December 8, Hamburg will delay its bid until 2030. If Munich loses its 2018 bid it would probably consider bidding for the 2022 Winter Games.
Since the International Olympic Committee (IOC) won’t consider Germany hosting a Summer Games right after a Winter Games, the Mayor said Hamburg has no realistic chance of hosting an Olympics until 2030.
SPD sport expert Juergen Schmidt criticized the Mayor’s decision saying it was a slap in the face to all sports enthusiasts in Hamburg. Write or read comments about this article
- French IOC Members Criticize Annecy 2018
- Los Angeles Steps Up For 2024 Summer Games Bid
- Beijing To Tackle Environmental Problems For 2022 Winter Olympic Bid
- Government Approves Slovakia Budget For 2022 Winter Olympic Bid
- USOC To Explore Potential 2024 Summer Games Bid