Christchurch Commonwealth Games Bid?
Bruce Ullrich, former Chef de Mission of three New Zealand teams to Olympic and Commonwealth Games, is urging Christchurch to bid for the Commonwealth Games.
Ulrich told Newstalk ZB it would "put a bit of pressure on, to get the rebuild up and going. The Gold Coast have got the 2018 Games, probably realistically 2026 would be the time but my suggestion would be having a look at 2022, but they're more likely to go to the northern hemisphere".
According to Ulrich, the main problem is that the Commonwealth Games have tripled in size with the introduction of team sport, so you can't stage the Games without underwriting by the Government.Write or read comments about this article
- Istanbul 2020 Hosting Would Build Bridges
- Oswald Fifth Candidate For IOC President
- Istanbul 2020 Pledges To ONOC
- Mario and Sonic To Compete At Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games Under Nintendo Flag
- Richard Carrion Announces His Candidacy For IOC President